Nebraska Merriam Turkey Hunts
Email (719) 591-8934
Nebraska Turkey Hunting Video - click to play
Nebraska Turkey Hunting has never been better!
hunting in the springtime is an incredible experience and a super time to be in
D&E Outfitters only
takes at one time a limited number of Nebraska Merriam turkey hunters that we can comfortably handle and ensure without a doubt that
they will feel like they are being treated as a person and not a number. “Come a
Stranger and leave a Friend”.
hosting the correct number of Merriam Turkey Hunters at one time may vary from
hunt to hunt and the type of hunts booked; i.e. Guided or Self-Guided. But,
rest assured that number is very comfortable for everyone and allows Evelyn, Tom,
Cam and I to provide as much personnel attention to each hunter to
make each hunt a success and depart as a friend.
- Our normal average success rates on guided merriam turkey hunts is 100% permit fill and self-guided nebraska turkey hunts run 99% permit fill and a 100% opportunity on all permits.
- It is very common for our Merriam turkey hunters to harvest and fill all their permits in 1 day.
- Many hunters use our Nebraska Merriams turkey hunts to fulfill their Turkey Grand Slam, Royal Slam or World Slam. We take their trust in us as a Premier Nebraska Merriam Turkey Hunting Outfitter to be part of their dream very serious.
guests, which many are long time turkey hunters with many turkey's to their credit: say they have never
seen Merriam turkey hunting so good with so many turkeys and mature Gobblers!
- Turkey hunters say Nebraska is one the very best turkey hunting destinations across North America and premier location for spring turkey hunters looking for their merriam's turkey.
Nebraska Merriam Turkey - Photo Gallery
Merriam Turkey - Frequently Asked Questions
- Frequently Asked Questions
Nebraska Merriam Turkey Hunts Prices, Dates:
3-day self-guided turkey hunts with Food & Lodging for 1 Turkey...$800
3-day self-guided turkey hunt with Food & Lodging for 2 Turkeys...$1,195
3-day 2x1 fully guided merriam turkey hunts for 1 Turkey...$1,100 (we guarantee a shot on the first bird on fully guided hunts)
3-day 2x1 fully guided merriam turkey hunt for 2 Turkeys...$1,495 (we guarantee a shot on the first bird on fully guided hunts)
*Ask for 1x1 prices.
If you do not get a shot opportunity on our fully guided spring turkey hunts you can come back the following year and hunt "free" on a 1 turkey fully guided turkey hunt.
- Non-Hunters are welcome to come with friends or family members. The fee is $400 per individual (with a maximum of 1 per paid hunter).
- Contact us today to book your hunt Nebraska merriam turkey hunting adventure.
Non-Resident Nebraska spring turkey hunting permits:
*Adult spring turkey permits are $95 for each gobbler, plus a yearly $20 Habitat Stamp.
*Non-resident Youth turkey permits are only $5.00 each turkey, plus a yearly $20 Habitat Stamp.
*Permits can be purchased online 4-5 days prior to hunt start date and printed out at www.outdoornebraska.org
Springs Turkey hunts dates:
*Archery Turkey - March 25 to May 31
*Youth shotgun season April 11 - May 31
*General shotgun April 18 to May 31
Self-guided turkey hunts with Food and Lodging include: 3 days hunting, up to 4 nights lodging, meals, snacks, freezing, and limited guide help. Pre-season scouting, confirmed roosts, strut zones, travel corridors, and feeding areas.
- Not included: hunting permits, licenses, guide, field transportation, blinds, decoys, chairs, any hunting gear, trophy field care, bird cleaning or meat processing, taxidermy, gratuities. (Need to bring SUV, AWD, or 4-wheel drive type vehicle)
Fully Guided Nebraska Turkey Hunts include: 3 days hunting, up to 4 nights lodging, meals and snacks, guiding, transportation, field bird processing, freezing, decoys, and blinds.
- Not included: hunting permits, licenses, personnel hunting gear, taxidermy, guide gratuities. (Any turkey wounded and not recovered is a harvested bird and fills a permit.)
*Tip is a way of saying thank you to those who made your turkey hunting trip enjoyable. A tip makes up a large portion of a guides pay. The industry standard for a hunting trip Tip is 10-20%. Please consider this in your planning.
*When posted on-line review and understand 2014 Spring Turkey Hunting Regulations
Nebraska Turkey Hunt Details
Nebraska Turkey Hunting Info
Nebraska turkey population is at a high level. The Nebraska Game and Parks say the Nebraska turkey population outlook is looking good. Nebraska Merriam Turkey hunting hasn't been better with liberal and lengthy seasons, which makes for great Nebraska turkey hunting for all hunters. Permits are "Unlimited with No Draw Required" at a reasonable price.
*2014 was our 10th year conducting our Nebraska turkey hunts and it went great as usual! Our Self-guided and Fully Guided Turkey hunts were 100% successful for archery, crossbow, and shotgun.
*There is no minimum age to hunt turkeys in Nebraska.
Hunters under age 12 MUST be accompanied at all times when hunting anything with a firearm or crossbow by a licensed hunter age 19 or older who if between the age of 19 and 30 must carry proof they have completed a Hunter Education Course.
*We turkey hunt across many Nebraska ranches and farms that we lightly hunt each year. All are well managed having excellent mature Merriam turkey populations.
*Many of our Nebraska turkeys again weighed in over 21 pounds, with many Big Old Tom Gobblers weighing around 23 pounds. In 2014 we had incredible 14 double gobbler harvests. Our turkeys harvested again this year average age was 3 years old! With higher number of 4 and 5 year old Boss gobblers. We have an excellent proven population of old mature gobblers with many having tree hanger spurs!
*We practice "No Shooting Jakes". Jake numbers this spring were very good from a great hatch in our hunt area the year before!
Return to topic list
Wounded or Missed Bird Policy
If you miss 2 or more times your hunt is considered complete due to shot overspray that hits the bird and the lack of hunt preparation on your part or lack of shooting skills.
- We need to respect this great resource and be prepared with your weapon.
- A hunter needs to be mature and must only take shots they know then can make.
- A wound bird is considered a harvest bird and fills that permit.
- For the reasons listed above we Highly Recommend all shotguns have a turkey scope or red dot sighted in with a shooting sled.
Return to topic list
- Hunters ages 12 through 29 must have completed firearm Hunter Education
when hunting turkey with a firearm or crossbow.
- An Apprentice Hunter
Education Exemption Certificate is available for those who have not
completed Hunter Education.
- Hunters under age 12 and those using the
Exemption Certificate must be accompanied by a licensed hunter age 19 or
- Your card by law must be carried with you at all times while
Bow hunter safety is not required when archery turkey hunting in Nebraska.
There is no minimum age to hunt turkeys in Nebraska
Return to topic list
Nebraska Turkey Hunt
Nebraska turkey hunting terrain that we hunt is vast, diverse, varying from creek and river country, to cultivated fields, to vast open range rolling hills. We hunt across many ranches and tracks of land by doing this, and lightly hunting each one, allows us to manage for old mature gobblers.
We use ground blinds with some run and gun hunting methods. As the spring turkey hunting season changes. We adapt and use the best hunting method for our turkey hunting areas in Nebraska.
- Our Shotgun, crossbow and archery turkey hunters don't hunt over feeders or in high fences. These hunts are Free Ranging Wild Turkey Fair Chase Hunts.
Return to topic list
Turkey Hunt Equipment
We are known as a top Merriam Turkey Outfitters and Guide Services in Nebraska for Nebraska shotgun, archery turkey hunts and crossbow turkey hunting.
Many believe archery turkey hunting is one of the toughest hunts a hunter can do.
On merriam turkey bow hunts or crossbow. We have found Primos Double Bull Blinds works well.
A critical factor, turkey bow hunter shoot a fast shooting bow or crossbow such as a Hoyt, BowTech, PSE or Mathews bows or TenPoint and Stryker 380 crossbow.
Crossbows, overall weight, speed, and having a light crisp trigger pull are critical.
Bows need to fit you and be at your daily normal draw weight.
Do not reduce your bow poundage for archery turkey hunting.
- We recommend a minimum draw weight of 50 pounds.
- Lazar Range Finder is a must for all archery merriams turkey hunting.
Pin point accuracy and broadhead performance are the critical key factors in archery or crossbow Merriam turkey getting!
Turkeys have an extremely small vital kill zone, so we recommend using 3D targets before your hunt that mark the body kill zone. You should practice
shooting in all positions to include sitting or kneeling positions for a blind daily before your hunt.
We want our archery and crossbow turkey hunters to use one of the best "Turkey Buster Broadheads".
- NAP Spitfire Gobbler-Getter, NAP F.O.C. Turkey Broadhead, Rage 3-Blade Turkey Broadheads, or Rocket BuckBlaster 125 grain 2 3/4" with additional 3 fixed blades all work great. These are some of the best on the market at this time proven for turkey bow hunting and crossbow turkey hunts!
- Heavier broadhead the better for maximum kinetic energy.
*Bring a spare release.
*Other archery turkey hunting gear items you might want to consider for your archery turkey hunt is a Primos Bow Sling, GoPro, or Roscoby Riser Cam.
Our shotgun Nebraska turkey hunts are considered as one of the best that Nebraska Turkey Outfitters and Guides have to offer.
We recommend shooting a fitted semiautomatic camo 12 gauge 3 1/2" magnum shotgun with a premium turkey choke, shooting hard hitting turkey loads.
We have seen many successes with the following semiautomatic turkey shotguns. The Benelli Super Vinci, Benelli Super Black Eagle, and Remington VersaMax. These turkey shotguns are the best turkey jelly head makers that I have seen. They set a standard for those distance long beard shots.
proven Merriam Turkey shotguns: Remington 870
Express Super Magnum Turkey, Browning A5, Winchester Super X3, and Benelli Super Nova.
Turkey Choke tube is a must!
- We recommend the award winning Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike Choke Tube, Hevi-13 Turkey Choke tubes, award winning Rhino "Grand Slam Turkey Choke Tubes, and award winning JEB "Head Hunter Choke Tubes.
- We recommend fitting your shotgun with these items: for sights, look at a Truglo Strut 'N Rut Shotgun Scope, Gobble-Stopper, Tru-Brite Open Red-Dot sight, or a Nikon Turkey Pro BTR Scope or open Fiber-optic type sights. Also, you can't forget a good Sling and LimbSaver Recoil Pad are must haves. All this makes for a great Gobbler-Getter set-up.
- Our Nebraska shotgun turkey hunters need to use "Magnum Turkey Loads".
- We recommend Hevi Shot Hevi-13 Magnum Blend, Hevi Shot Hevi-13 Turkey Loads in #4 or 5 shot, Federal Premium Mag-Shok Heavyweight loads in #5 or Winchester Long Beard XR in #4 or 5.
Note: Most important bring a shotgun that fits you, and shoots great to your ethical effective range. Plus, the turkey load and brand will "Pattern" in your shotgun with a turkey's head and neck target: "Please No Body Shots" Head and Neck Only.
- We recommend to pattern your shotgun at 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 yards using a turkey head and neck pattern target. You are looking for 11-16 pellets in the head and neck area; more the better!
- It is a must you use the same turkey loads you will be turkey hunting with to pattern your shotgun.
- Getting a fitted Turkey Shotgun, Turkey Load and turkey Choke Tube combination is key to having a tight pattern to get your spring gobbler.
- Concerning choke tubes, getting your shotgun to pattern well with turkey loads is the proper constriction of your choke tube. Please do some research in this area.
- Please go to the following Nebraska Game and Parks web pages for great information tools in helping get your turkey shotgun ready for your Nebraska guided turkey hunt or Nebraska self-guided Turkey hunt: Shotgun Check and Turkey Target.
- Other shotgun turkey hunting gear items you might want to considering looking at is a Primos Trigger Stick or some type of Turkey Shooting Sticks that are now on the market.
- You need to use a turkey choke tube made for Hevi-13 Shot for the best pattern.
Return to topic list
Lodging - Meals
STUART NEBRASKA location: Hunts that include lodging and meals: Our lodging is an updated, very clean rural Farm House on a quite country road with a very relaxing atmosphere. The meals are hearty home-made in a buffet style, which you serve yourself when ready. If you have certain snacks or drinks you like you can bring those on your own as needed.
Breakfasts are light and quick consisting of dry cereals, instant oatmeal, pastries, toast, and fruit. There will also be assorted juices, and coffee.
Lunch, you will pack your own lunch of cold-cut sandwiches the night before. Also, along with sandwiches there will be fruit, chips, crackers, sweets, water and gatorade. There are plenty of choices to pick from. You are also more then welcome to any left-overs there might be in the fridge at anytime. We recommend you pack a heartier lunch then you are use to. We have found the Nebraska fresh air always increases the appetite.
Our Nebraska Dinner meals will consist of meat dishes, casserole dishes, or crock-pot meals, salad, vegetables, rolls and dessert. Meals are hearty and home-made and very delicious!
If you have any meal concerns or special meal needs please bring it to our attention before or when booking your hunt.
- Food and non-alcoholic drinks are always available to you. The biggest complaint we get is a person weighs more at the end of their hunt than upon arriving.
- If you enjoyed our meals, please keep the cook in when mind when you consider gratuities, this is very much appreciated.
- Alcohol is not provided, but is allowed after hunting is done for the day and can not interfere with other hunters. Intoxication will not be tolerated.
Return to topic list
Getting to Stuart and Valentine Nebraska
We hunt near the towns of Stuart and Valentine Nebraska in North Central Nebraska.
Note: Our cell phone reception is minimal in these areas.
We expect you to drive to us:
For driving directions to Stuart or Valentine Nebraska click on the city name in blue, then put in your zip code to either Stuart or Valentine Nebraska.
When hunting near Stuart Nebraska you can fly into either:
- Omaha Nebraska then rent a vehicle and drive 4 hours
- Sioux City Iowa then rent a vehicle and drive 2 hours 40 minutes
- Sioux Falls South Dakota then rent a vehicle and drive 3 hours 20 minutes
- Rapid City South Dakota then rent a vehicle and drive 4 hours 45 minutes
When hunting near Valentine Nebraska you can fly into either:
- North Platte Nebraska then rent a vehicle and drive 2 hours
- Omaha Nebraska then rent a vehicle and drive 5 hours 20 minutes
- Rapid City South Dakota then rent a vehicle and drive 3 hours 20 minutes
- Sioux City Iowa then rent a vehicle and drive 4 hours
- Sioux Falls South Dakota then rent a vehicle and drive 4 hours 20 minutes
(Call Airlines for best prices) When flying with the airlines you will need to follow the regulations for guns and ammunition, ask the airlines for information if unsure.
You will need to call Don on his Cell phone 2 hours prior to arrival, he will discuss with you where to meet.
Plan to arrive between 3-6 p.m. the day before your turkey hunt start date. After arriving you will get your gear unpacked and ready, pattern your shotgun as required, then a hunt orientation, and safety brief. Please do not call early in the morning or arrive before scheduled time.
Return to topic list
Meat and Taxidermy - Turkey
A problem that faces a turkey hunter who has just driven or flown across the country to go on a turkey hunt is how to get there turkey/meat safely home. Please read below on what we have learned and know:
- Ensure you know Nebraska, states traveling thru and state you live in big game transportation and importation laws and any other legal requirements in this area. This is your responsibility.
- Check with your airline or ground carrier about any restrictions about transporting a frozen turkey and meat.
- Keeping the same airline on connecting flights will help avoid luggage issues.
Transporting your trophy turkey home to taxidermist. On fully Guided hunts we help you with the below steps and on Self-guided it is up to you. We recommend the following before freezing for transport:
Most taxidermist's prefer the turkey not gutted. Check with yours before the trip. You can get the meat after you take it to the
Taxidermist being it is frozen.
Treat the turkey very carefully to keep the turkey feathers from getting damaged, only lay on turkey's stomach/breast, and keep all blood off of feathers.
To help with blood, put paper towel or cotton balls in turkeys mouth, next wrap turkey head with paper towels and tape or rubber band in place, next tuck wrapped head under the wing.
Next, put your turkey head first in the leg of a pair of queen size panty hose. Then pull up around the entire turkey to include the turkey tail, then tie the open end of the panty hose in a knot, then freeze. This will protect the turkey feathers holding them securely in place.
After it is frozen, take out of freezer and wrap entire bird in bubble wrap, then put head first in a large plastic bag and roll gently squeezing the air out of the bag and securely tape bag in place before putting it in the cooler for transport.
This is the best method we have found to date to get your trophy home to mount.
You should use coolers for transporting your meat and turkey.
Flying: duct tape the coolers shut after you get to the airport in case they need to open and pack them as tightly as possible.
Driving: use duct tape to hold the lids tightly shut. This keeps out air, even when the truck is on rough roads, and hits bumps.
If you fly, once meat and turkey is processed and frozen, it can be boxed and checked as excess baggage. Meat/trophy bird should be frozen as dry ice is not allowed on airplanes.
US Mail, UPS, or FedEx, we have had hunters use all with good success. To make this work best with perishable items. They need to be shipped out at a office by the main airport you fly into. Reason, where we are located in Nebraska we are far away from the interstates and major airports so everything is Ground shipment first, then overnight so "overnight" actually turns into 2-3 days. Note: if shipping nonperishable where time isn't a factor. We have a Post office's and drop boxes for UPS and FedEx in our local areas.
Local Taxidermist is available to expedite (ship) your trophy to your home taxidermist or they can mount your trophy and ship back to you. They are very knowledgeable and skilled on species we hunt. This is an easy and efficient way to handle your taxidermy needs. Most often they will often do a better job than someone who has seen few of the particular animals from our areas.
- The one we will recommend is a "small Full-Time Taxidermy Studio" focused on providing high quality taxidermy within a reasonable time period, averaging six to nine months. They do everything they can to meet your expectations. They are very methodical, meticulous and a driven person that never settles for second best or "just good enough" I would trust them with my finest trophy.
Note: With all this said above, our hunters are telling us it is best "to drive when you can". They say with a partner and rotating driving, you can get anywhere within the states in a days travel, which is what you are burning up flying anyway, along with renting a car and driving to us. This way you get to bring all your gear and take everything back and use a meat processor close to home and your own taxidermist. Our recommendation is to drive if at all possible.
Most important it is a must to plan ahead in this area and determine before the hunt how you want to handle your meat and trophy turkey.
Return to topic list
Nebraska Turkey Hunting Travel Insurance
Hunting out of state is expensive, with life being unpredictable and the unexpected does happen to everyone and for this reason D & E Outfitters highly recommends buying Travel Guard's Sportsman's Travel Protection Plan Insurance.
You need to make sure it includes cancellation coverage.
This is your responsibility to ensure you are covered and protected.
Return to topic list
Contact us Form
If you want a great merriams turkey hunt!
Please contact us to discuss our Nebraska Merriam Turkey hunts. Call D & E Outfitters to book your Nebraska merriam turkey
outfitters hunting adventure at Phone: 719-591-8934 or the contact us form.
Thank you for visiting
Contact us to book your hunt.
Return to topic list
All Text and Images Copyright D & E Outfitters © 2004